Skip to main content

Football: ‘I Could Have Won Five Golden Boots In A Row But Chose Not To’

FILE-Thierry-Henry-Retires-At-37
Mirror
Thierry Henry has played down his natural ability as a goal-scorer, but insists he could have won five Golden Boots in a row had he been more selfish.
Arsenal’s record scorer – and in the eyes of many, greatest ever player – was the Premier League’s top scorer in four out of five seasons between 2001 and 2006.

The only time he missed out on the gong was in 2002/03, when Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy pipped him to it.
The Dutchman scored 25 league goals that season while Henry scored 24 and assisted 23.
The World Cup winning Frenchman insists he could have won it that year too, but chose not to.
Sylvain-Wiltord
“I was a player that scored goals – I wasn’t a goal-scorer,” Henry told ShortList.
“I was making passes. I could have won five Golden Boots in a row. But, in 2003, in the last game versus Sunderland, I gave Freddie [Ljungberg] three goals.
“I’m battling with Ruud van Nistelrooy but I gave him three goals. Is that the sign of a guy that wants to win the Golden Boot?”
Arsenal-FC-v-GNK-Dinamo-Zagreb-UEFA-Youth-League
He added:
“I’m more proud of my assists than my goals. I’ve said it many times. I gave people penalties. With Edu [Gaspar], I gave him a penalty in his last league game [in which Henry himself didn’t score]. I was fighting with James Beattie, but that was better than winning the Golden Boot.
“If I had to score a goal, I’d score a goal. If I had to make a pass, I’d make a pass. I try to do the right thing at the right time.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Village Head Master actor, Joseph Adu aka JAB dies at 83

Legendary Nigerian actor, Joseph Abiodun Adu popularly known as JAB Adu has died. Family sources say he died after a brief illness on Sunday morning February 28th. He was aged 83. JAB is well known for his role as Bassey Okon in the now rested Village Headmaster. He is survived by his wife and children. May his soul rest in peace Amen.

Photo: It's easier to operate in Ghana than Nigeria-Robbery suspect confesses

Read Statement from the Rapid Response Squad A robbery suspect and ex–convict, Wasami Dennis, 32, was arrested by operatives of the RRS in his hideout in Agbole Orile in Lagos. He confessed that it was easier for him to operate in Ghana than Nigeria because Ghanaian are not security conscious like Nigerians. This trans-border robbery suspect hails from Abraka town, Delta State. He was released almost a year ago from Kirikiri prison after he was convicted for a break-in-and-run robbery incidence in Festac, Lagos, Nigeria.

LIB exclusive: How Teebillz nearly killed himself this morning - he tried to jump off the Lekki-Ikoyi toll bridge

When Teebillz shared his suicide note this morning on IG while pouring his heart out about the demise of his marriage to Tiwa Savage, many of us thought/hoped he was just talking, but he wasn't. Tunji 'Teebillz' Balogun tried to commit suicide this morning by jumping off the Lekki- Ikoyi toll bridge and this is fact! According to an eye-witness named Chukwuma Ani, who witnessed the incident and was one of the men who pulled Teebillz off the bridge, he told LIB exclusively that around past 9 this morning while driving on the Lekki-Ikoyi toll bridge, a car hit his own from behind, damaging his car.