Skip to main content

Cancer survivor featured in cruel Meth memes hits back. "I am more than a meme, I am a father, husband, survivor…"

A cancer survivor, Leon Mitchell whose ravaged appearance was mocked in a cruel viral photo has posted a touching reminder that he is more than a meme. In 2005, Mitchell was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal carcinoma, a rare form of cancer that starts in the nasopharynx, the upper part of the throat behind the nose and near the base of skull. The 31-year-old who lives in Washington state, survived the cancer but struggled for years with the devastating way it affected his body.
The meme, called Meth Curry, highlighted Mr Mitchell’s likeness to American basketball player Stephen Curry, and compared his appearance with the gaunt body of a long-time methamphetamine user. The photo used was taken while he was undergoing chemotherapy. It was widely shared and went viral on social media. Mitchell who is the founder of KNOE Clothing took to his Instagram page yesterday, January 6, to hit back in a heartfelt post.
“So earlier today I was the butt of a not so funny meme “METH CURRY” directed at the outward physical appearance that I display,” he wrote.
“The fact that the meme was posted was a reminder of how distasteful and cruel people can be without background knowledge of the person in the bullseye of the target. I’ve struggled deeply for years with the devastating effects cancer treatment plagued my body with. The massive destruction it took on my neck, shoulders, nose, throat, and ability to function normally. I am strong enough to endure these attacks after years of rebuilding. However as we look at the power story I explain, let’s remember these types of social media attacks on people can be massively detrimental to some who still battle with insecurities and uncomfortability with themselves and their battles. If we are going to allow something like this go viral Let’s do it for the right reasons!
And he concluded:
“I am more then a meme, I am a father, husband, survivor, mentor, community advocate, and positive motivational speaker. Proud to have endured and conquered everything I have!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earthquake Shakes Afghanistan, Pakistan And India

A 6.2-magnitude earthquake has struck northeast Afghanistan near the country’s borders with Pakistan and Tajikistan, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS), with tremors being felt as far as New Delhi. The USGS said Saturday morning’s earthquake, initially reported as magnitude 6.4, was at a depth of 203km and centred 82km southeast of the town of Feyzabad, capital of the Afghan province of Badakhshan.

Does President Mohammadu Buhari Have A Conscience? - FFK

Article by Femi Fani-Kayode  ''Aside the 105 soldiers killed by Boko Haram, additional 34 soldiers were killed 2 days ago but it wasn't in the news''- Deji Adeyanju. I concur with Mr. Deji Adeyanju. The most heartless and reprehensible thing that our government could have done is to cover-up the fact that 105 of our soldiers were killed by Boko Haram a few days ago. To do such a thing is simply evil.

Read what Lynxxx has to say about finding your soul-mate

Below is what he wrote; “ So lately, iv heard a few friends say stuff like “mehn im looking for a girlfriend so im going out more / do u have a babe for me? / oh im looking for this type of guy / some even sliding into random dms based on pictures on IG etc” All well and good but you are more or less running in circles to end up where u are now in time again.